Thursday, February 7, 2013

A place of my own

I have been part of the working force for quite a number of years. I pay my taxes diligently, and I am a law abiding citizen. I rarely drive higher than the speed limit and I pay the parking guard. I am a grown ass woman, who has been engaged already. I am godmother to an amazing little boy and I have the greatest friends a person could ask for. I live in a beautiful country, in the lovely town that is its capital. And still there's this one BIG thorn in my side - the fact that I am STILL paying another person's mortgage instead of my own!

I hate renting! I hate the fact that it's not my place. I would LOVE to paint the walls for instance, but I can't since it's not my own. And acquiring my own little place in the sun here in Windhoek is starting to seem impossible, unless I get such a fat raise that I faint at the mention of the numbers! The housing index in this city is ridiculous. We have grown ups still living with their parents - not because they still want to, but because their options are severely limited. Finding property, whether it's a house or a flat, for under half a million bucks is close to IMPOSSIBLE. You who say that I'm wrong - take me to the house that is cheaper!!

Now, recently FNB proclaimed that at least 300 houses must be made available this year so as to keep the housing prices steady. Three hundred?? Who are they kidding? THOUSANDS of people would love to own property, the demand is soooo much bigger than they can imagine. But the supply is kept small, plots are sold in droves to property developers at public auction, who drive up the bidding price to such a degree that no normal human being can afford to partake. These same developers then go and construct houses that all look the same (very Stepford) and sell it to the public at exorbitant prices, that again, no normal individual can afford. It even appears that buying property, any property, only becomes feasible once married, which ticks me off even more. I'm single and I want my own place!! Without selling my soul for it.

People, I'm sitting with my hands in my hair, the situation is driving me crazy! This post is me ranting and raving, and also asking - does anyone know what we can do to CHANGE the status quo? Currently I have no solution, but maybe if heads are put together, this travesty can be put to an end. So...anyone has any bright ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment